A number of different fields use gearboxes for a wide range of applications. For this reason there are several kinds of industrial gearboxes, all with their own unique features, functions, and mechanisms. Here is a list of five common gearbox types and some important details about each.
- Strengths: This type of gearbox provides greater speed reduction ratio between axis shafts. Worm gears are used to transmit power at 90 degrees.
- Details: The worm drive is equipped with a wheel that has a large diameter. A worm screw meshes with the teeth on the worm wheel’s peripheral area. The worm usually resembles a screw while the wheel is similar to one section of a nut.
- Applications: Tuning instruments like guitars; elevators; gates and conveyor belts
- Strengths: This gearbox is known for endurance and accuracy.
- Details: It comes in hollow or solid input, and there are various mounting options, including foot, flange-mounted, or shaft.
- Applications: Pencil sharpeners; 3D printing
Coaxial Helical Inline Gearbox
- Strengths: Coaxial helical inline gears are known for their efficiency and quality.
- Details: The gears and shaft are made of case hardened, tempered steel, designed to achieve minimal friction.
- Applications: Heavy-duty types of applications related to mining, lifting, transportation, tank fabrication, construction, etc.
Bevel Helical Gearbox
- Strengths: The bevel helical gearbox provides a rotary motion between non-parallel shafts.
- Details: This gearbox has a curved set of teeth on a cone-shaped surface.
- Applications: Mining or quarry industry
Skew Bevel Helical Gearbox
- Strengths: The skew bevel helical gearbox has excellent rigidity and strength.
- Details: This gearbox is noted for its unyielding, monolithic structure, combining two cylindrical-helical stages of reduction with the skew axis.
- Applications: Moving various heavy loads
Because every type of gearbox has a different design, the same industrial gearbox repair and renewal techniques won’t work for all of them. If you need to have a gearbox inspected, fixed, or replaced, consult a professional gearbox repair service. They will know exactly how to handle issues with each type of industrial gearbox.